Fran Poirier Interview
July 2011 - Fran Poirier
1. Please introduce yourself. Who are you? How old are you? Where are you from? What are your hobbies (other than powerlifting)? Please give the readers an idea of what it’s like to be you.
My name is Fran Poirier. Friends at the gym call me “ Franimal “. I am 56 yrs. old and I'm from Belleville, IL. I have an Associates Degree in Applied Science. My hobbies are taking a walk; spending time with my 9mo. grandchild; working out at the gym and planting a garden.
2. Where are you located in Georgia and where do you train at?
I live in Duluth. I train at Quest Gym in Duluth.
3. What is something that most people don’t know about you?
People don't know that I power lift but I guess you can say, now they do.
4. What is your occupation?
I've been working for the Gwinnett County Public Schools for 15 yrs. at BB Harris Elementary in Duluth. I work in Special Ed. With Autism.
5. Do you find that your occupation interferes with competing or visa versa?
No, it really works out well. I come to the gym after school. Also, if I have a meet I can get a sub and take the day off.
6. How many years have you been competing?
I started spring of 2009 about a year and half ago.
7. How did you get into powerlifting?
My trainer, Josh Rohr, asked me if I was interested and I gave it a try.
8. What are your biggest squat, bench press, deadlift and total numbers.
Squat: 110.2 pounds, Bench Press: 88.2 pounds, Deadlift: 192.9 pounds, Total: 391.2 pounds.
9. What titles, records and achievements did you accumulate in your powerlifting career?
I have the women’s raw masters 50-54 and 55-59 georgia state records in all 3 lifts and total.
10. Can you describe your training philosophy and/or a typical training session?
I warm up with stretch bands for 15min. Then, what ever Josh has planned out I'll do. It could be a circuit, like dumbbells; pull downs; rowing machine also squats; push ups and rope.
11. Do you compete equipped (squat suit, bench press shirt & deadlift suit) or unequipped (no suits) or both?
12. What weight class(s) and divisions(s) do you compete in?
As of right now, wt. Class is 181. Division – Women’s Masters- age 50 plus.
13. What is your favorite lift, squat or bench press or deadlift or all three?
I like deadlift and squat
14. Who is the most impressive lifter you have competed against?
Lissa Braverman; Sam Marino and Vic Robison.
15. Who do you think is the greatest lifter of all time?
16. When was your last competition & how did it go?
My last meet was the USAPL Alabama State Championships in Talladaga, Al. It was really inspirational because we competed along with special needs competitors. During my deadlift I fell backwards because they had a thick carpet on the floor. My other lifts were fine.
17. Do you have any upcoming competitions? If so, when and where?
Yes, in the fall in November the USAPL Georgia State Meet. Which will be in Dalton, Ga.
18. How do you prepare for an upcoming competition?
I take Ana-Pro Supplement and eat right and work out with Josh Rohr.
19. Describe your nutritional intake for an upcoming competition?
I take Ana-Pro supplement. I eat chicken and fish. I also eat a lot of fits and veggies. I also eat almonds. I also get my carbs from oatmeal and fruit.
20. Is there anything you will do differently to prepare for your next competition that is different from your last one?
Yes, I'm trying to get down to a smaller wt, class which is 165.
21. How many meets do you compete in each year?
1st yr.- 2 meets; 2nd yr.- had an eye injury. No meets.
22. Who is your greatest competitor/rival?
23. What advice & tips would you give to a powerlifter that is just beginning?
You are surrounded by people that want to take care of themselves, that are drug free. It makes you eat healthy and also a great way to keep in shape.
24. How has powerlifting changed your life?
PL has made me a stronger person, no pun intended. It also makes me realize that I can achieve something when I really work hard.
25. Do you stay in touch with lifters you compete against?
Well, I see Lissa Braverman; Sam Marino and Vic Robison at the gym often.
26. Why did you decide to compete?
Every one is doing it. For the fun of it.
27. What is your #1 or most prestigious meet you ever competed at in your career?
State Meet in Georgia.
28. Do you compete in any other strength sports such as Olympic lifting, strongman, highland games, etc?
29. What is your favorite memory from any powerlifting competition or event?
Competing along with the special needs competitors in Talladaga, AL.
30. Anyone you would like thank for helping you along the way in your Powerlifting career?
Josh Rohr. I never thought in all the world I would be PL. Also, being named “ Franimal “. Josh has pushed me to the next level to help me in my training. I never thought possible.
31. Anything else you would like to add?
Thank you for putting me in the USAPL Georgia “ Spotlight “. I hope I continue to grow!
Thank you for your time and best of luck in your upcoming powerlifting endeavors!