January 2012 - Conner Collins
Conner, thank you for your time and best of luck in your upcoming powerlifting endeavors!
- Please introduce yourself. Who are you? How old are you? What are your hobbies (other than powerlifting)? Please give the readers an idea of what it’s like to be you.
My name is Conner Collins. I just turned 14 and attend C.W. Davis Middle School. I started working out about a 1 ½ years ago 2-3 times/week. I just started my first year of wrestling and I enjoy drawing and airsoft.
- Where are you located in Georgia and where do you train at?
I live in Flowery Branch and train with Caleb Williams at Peak Performance Weightlifting.
- What is something that most people don’t know about you?
I like to read on my down time.
- How many years have you been competing?
This is my first year.
- How did you get into powerlifting?
After working out with Caleb, he suggested I try it out.
- What are your biggest squat, bench press, deadlift and total numbers?
Squat- 85K, Bench Press- 67.5K, Deadlift- 110K/ Total- 262.5K
- Can you describe your training philosophy and/or a typical training session?
My philosophy is to do my best at every session to strengthen my core and my overall fitness and muscular build. I am hoping to get cut abs eventually.
A typical training session includes warming up, heavy lifting, exercises using body weight and kettle bells and sometimes bands or other miscellaneous items he pulls out. My trainer does different stuff every time. He is very creative with his workouts. We always end with stretching and rolling.
- Do you compete equipped (squat suit, bench press shirt & deadlift suit) or unequipped (no suits) or both?
- What weight class(s) and divisions(s) do you compete in?
Weight Class- 148/ Division- Youth 13yr
- What is your favorite lift, squat or bench press or deadlift or all three?
- Who do you think is the greatest lifter of all time?
Caleb Williams, of course!
- When was your last competition & how did it go?
November in Dalton. I set 4 state records.
- Do you have any upcoming competitions? If so, when and where?
- How do you prepare for an upcoming competition?
I try to sharpen my technique, get good tips from my trainer, get good sleep, and eat well.
- Describe your nutritional intake for an upcoming competition?
I will eat lighter foods, mainly fish and broccoli and other green vegetables. I still do protein shakes as well.
- Is there anything you will do differently to prepare for your next competition that is different from your last one?
- How many meets do you compete in each year?
I have only done one so far.
- What advice & tips would you give to a powerlifter that is just beginning? If you are just beginning, what advice have you received from other lifters or coaches?
Caleb tells me not to overthink the lift and just have fun.
- How has powerlifting changed your life?
It has made me stronger, more confident, and more athletic.
- Do you stay in touch with lifters you compete against?
- Why did you decide to compete?
My trainer suggested I try it out.
- What is your #1 or most prestigious meet you ever competed at in your career?
I have only competed once. That was in Dalton this past November.
- Do you compete in any other strength sports such as Olympic lifting, strongman, highland games, etc?
- What is your favorite memory from any powerlifting competition or event?
When I realized I set some state records, that was pretty cool.
- Anyone you would like thank for helping you along the way in your Powerlifting career?
Yes, Caleb Williams and my other trainer, Adam Reese. They have been very helpful in making me do my best.